Beyond Plastics Greater Seattle is gearing up for monthly meetings! Join us the last Friday of every month @ 5:30pm PST for our sustainability heroes happy hour! Whether you come to share or learn, you’re a hero for taking time out for the planet!
*Downcycled: Technically, plastic cannot be recycled as it’s not a “closed loop” material (such as aluminum, metal or glass). Virgin plastic must be added to downcycled plastic to make it into anything of use. The most a plastic item can be downcycled is twice. After this, it will break down indefinitely over hundreds of years, unable to be organically absorbed into our environment.
Grateful for the Ride
Finding ways to restore and sustain this beautiful planet of ours through grass roots and personal consumption efforts
Latest from the Blog
Our viewing opportunity of “The Story of Plastic” is over, but we DID capture the recording of our follow-up Speaker’s Panel.
We heard from:
• Jenny Davies political science degree from Duke University (1981), an MD and an MPH from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (1990), and a JD in environmental law from Lewis & Clark Law School
• Dana Ripper wildlife ecologist based in central Missouri. She is the co-founder and executive director of the Missouri River Bird Observatory, a nonprofit dedicated to the conservation of birds, all wildlife, and their habitats.
• Ben Schleifer EDC Food Program Director – Center for Environmental Health
You can watch the recording of this VERY informative Speaker’s Panel here.
62 Requests to watch the Movie
55 Flyers handed out
15 Panel Attendees
I’m pooped! But so glad we did this.
21 Days to Form a Habit: Choices and Habits are Powerful Things…
UPDATE: 85% of our waste is plastic waste. Learned recently that the rate of recycling plastic is actually closer to 5-6%, not the formerly thought 9% statistic (that is already quite dismal).
- Airplane Cups
- Catharine Blaine K-8 Waste Audit
- Coffee Cups
- Colored Markers
- Cottage Cheese
- Deodorant: update!
- Goal accomplished: Only 20 gallons of plastic in 2019!!
- My mission
- Ovens and the “M” before the Rs: Maintain
- Pads. Period.
- Plants and soil
- Plastic Sandwich Bags
- Protein Powder: update!
- The Story of Plastic – Speaker’s Panel Recording
- Toilet Paper – UPDATE
- Wenatchee Zero Waste
- Why refuse to use plastic anything?